Jack, I Swear...
Brokeback Mountain is such a great movie, that once I'd watched all 2 and a half hours of it once, I pressed play immediately and watched it again.1. Brokeback is the most convincing love story I've ever seen.
2. The cinematography is magnificent.
3. The acting is A Class.
4. The music is lovely.
5. The characters are genuine and complex - no stereotypes here.
Something I really liked about Brokeback was how it broke down a few major generalisations about gay men. Ennis and Jack are definitely manly and strong, but also tender. They are not promiscuous. They're both great dads. They are in no way selfish; they give up their own happiness for their respective families. There's such a beautiful depth to their relationship.
It also brought to the fore the reality of how fucked up life can get when you aren't true to yourself. Ennis and Jack tried hard to live 'normal' lives, marrying and having children, and ending up making both themselves and their families miserable. It shows why society needs to change in its attitudes towards the 'traditional family unit'.
I feel ashamed for dismissing it, as others have, as 'the gay cowboy movie'. It's a movie about humanity, about relationships, love, responsibility, prejudice and being true to yourself. You won't leave the cinema feeling happy, but you'll definitely get the warm fuzzies.
5 Stars

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home